Want dark theme or black theme for File Explorer in Windows 10? Actually, it is possible and in this tutorial, you will find out how to do that.
Dark mode or Black theme is the part of Windows 10 officially, that means you do not need to implement registry hack to enable black theme in Windows 10. You just need to navigate to Settings apps -> Personalization -> Colors -> Choose your mode (on the right panel).
Unfortunately, the effect of dark mode is only limited to system apps like Calendar, Mail, Windows Store. This means it has no effect on File Explorer. We know every well that there are users who also want dark mode or black theme for Windows 10 File Explorer. Right? Officially it is not possible, but it is possible with the little workaround.
Enable Dark Theme for File Explorer in Windows 10
Yes, you heard it right. It is possible to have Dark Theme for File Explorer. To achieve this thing, you need to use a Dark / Grey (High Contrast theme) for Windows 10 which is actually developed by DeviantArt user eversins. We have personally tried it on our computers and it looks nice. At least something is better than nothing.
The good thing about this dark Windows 10 theme is that there is no need to modify system files or any requirement of installing third party application.
Things to Keep in Mind
It is High Contrast theme, so chances are high that it will change the look of some application which you have installed on your computer. So it is highly recommended not to try it on your regular computer or laptop.
What you’ll Require
Download the Zip file of Dark Windows 10 theme || Zip File
Steps to Install Dark Theme in Windows 10
1. Extract the zip file and you will get the theme file.
2. You need to copy the theme file and paste it in the following location.
Keep Two Things in Mind
- Before performing this step make sure to enable the hidden item. For that, launch the File Explorer -> View -> Check Hidden Items option. Doing this will show you all the hidden files. If you do not check this option, you will not see AppData folder in above location.
- In case, you have not used any theme in Windows 10, then you will not see find any Themes folder in above location. In this situation, create the Themes folder yourself and paste the dark Windows 10 theme file in it.
3. Once done, Launch the Settings app -> Personalization -> Themes (Left Panel) -> Click on Theme Settings under Theme (Right Panel).
4. Now another window will open. Here you need to click on a theme to change the desktop background. If you have copied the theme file correctly in above step, then you will see the dark theme for Windows 10 under My Themes. Just click on that theme named as AllDarkEveV2 and in few second you will see the effect of the theme.
That’s it. After applying this theme everything goes dark including the File Explorer. You can check the following screenshots see the result of the theme:
Screenshots of File Explorer for Windows 10, Setting app, and Start Menu
The developer of this theme also mentioned that “This is probably the best I can do with the limited Windows 10 theme capabilities. I urge you to request a Dark theme or a better theme engine from Microsoft.“
In case, you’re looking for some beautiful themes for Windows 10 PC, then you can check my article on best windows 10 themes.
Disable Dark Theme in Windows 10
In case, you don’t like it and want to go back to default settings, then you just need to change the theme to Windows theme which you can find under default themes.
Why don’t you give a try to this theme to enable dark mode or black theme for File Explorer in Windows 10? Also, don’t forget to share your opinion about the theme in the comments.