If you don’t want Microsoft Edge as your default PDF viewer and want to replace it with Adobe Reader, then in this post you will find how to make Adobe Reader default Windows 10 PDF Viewer.
Microsoft Edge is not only the default web browser in Windows 10, it also working as default PDF viewer app. This is really an interesting feature because we no longer need PDF reader apps to view PDF files. But it acts as a basic PDF reader.
In case you prefer to have feature rich app as the default PDF Viewer instead of Microsoft Edge, then there are lots of PDF Viewer apps for Windows 10 available in Windows Store. You can also download Reader app from Windows store which was default PDF reader app in Windows 8 but ditched by the company in Windows 10.
Make Adobe Reader Default Windows 10 PDF Viewer
However, the majority of the users prefer to make Adobe Reader as the default viewer app in Windows 10 because it has all the feature which an ideal PDF reader must have. In this Windows 10 tutorial, I will be showing you how you can make it default PDF Viewer in Windows 10.
Here is what you need to do:
What you’ll Require:
- Download and Install the Adobe Reader Touch app from Windows Store.
- Download and Install their third party program named as Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you’ve already installed the Adobe Reader app, then you can ignore this section.
Make Adobe Reader Default Windows 10 via File Itself
1. Head over to the PDF file
2. Make a right click on the app. From the context menu, choose “Open with“. Now if
You just want to launch PDF file for once with Adobe Reader, then simply click on the one out of Adobe Reader Touch and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and your PDF file will be opened by PDF reader of your choice.
In case, you want to permanently change the default PDF reader, then you need to click on “Choose another app“.
Now you will see another popup show you default PDF reader with a list of apps which you can set as default PDF reader. Here you need to select the PDF Reader app and check mark the box next to option which reads “Always use this app to open .pdf files” and then click OK.
Make Adobe Reader Default Windows 10 via Setting app
1. Launch Settings app. For that, Press WIN + I hotkeys
2. Click on Apps -> Default Apps.
3. On the right pane, under “Choose default apps” look for the link which reads “Choose default app by file type“. Click on it.
4. On this page, you will get a list of all the file types with default apps. Scroll down until you find .PDF file type. Just like shown in the following screenshot:
You will find out that Microsoft Edge is the default app for opening .PDF files.
5. Click on Microsoft Edge app icon. You will get a list of apps which you can set as default PDF reader. As you want to set Adobe Reader as a default app, click to select the one out of Adobe Reader Touch and Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
In case, you’re the desired app is not in the list you can also download it by clicking on “Look for an app in Store”
You have successfully make Adobe Reader default Windows 10 PDF Viewer. From now onward all the PDF files will be opened by Adobe Reader.